Re: [Xen-users] updating kernel

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:38:46AM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:

> So yes, you have to use the binary packages, or compile each new
> version, each new source patch. Additionally, the xen patches are
> always made against a specific kernel version. That means, if in
> kernel 2.6.16 an issue is found, you most probably have to wait until
> the xen developers release a xen patch version for the new, fixed,
> upstream kernel.

I'm using the Xen kernel patch from hg9628 (actually what's in
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-xen/trunk/patches/linux-2.6.16-xen.patch.gz?op=log&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=0)
with 2.6.16.27 and so far haven't had any problems (the patch applies
with one or two line offsets but otherwise cleanly).

I suspect that there aren't any guarantees, but that the patches will
generally continue to work across new -stable releases. It would be good
to have some official word on compatibility and if there is a preferred
method of tracking upstream security updates.

Cheers,

Dominic.