Re: [Xen-users] hardware virtualization AMD...

To: Yasir Assam <list1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] hardware virtualization AMD...
From: Yasir Assam <list1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:49:47 +1000
Cc: Tom Bishop <bishoptf@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:50:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I should add that although I used xen-unstable, there's nothing to stop you using the stable or testing versions, as far as I'm aware.

Yasir
I set up HVM on an AM2 Athlon64 X2 3800+. I don't have a HOWTO for it, but I downoaded the xen-unstable source to do it. I installed on Debian Etch.

The documentation you get with xen-unstable includes an appendix describing what you need to do to run an OS with HVM (e.g. Windows on an AM2 chip).

One thing that got me was that you need to install a few extra packages before you run 'make world', otherwise the HVM won't work. These extra packages are only mentioned in the appendix, so before you build Xen, read the appendix. The packages are libsdl, libvncserver and dev86 (on Debian, my system, there is no dev86 and I had to install 2 packages: bin86 and bcc which provide the same functionality I think).

I also had problems using a physical partition as a VBD for the HVM guest. I had to use a file-backed VBD which works fine.

Incidentally, I didn't have to fiddle around with any BIOS settings to get this to work. From what I understand, HVM on AM2 systems should work without having to change anything in the BIOS, but I could be wrong on that.

I hope that helps. It's definitely doable.

Yasir
I getting close to trying hardware virtualization with a new AMD cpu, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the new AMD cpu and if anyones knows of any How-to's out there.  Thanks.