Re: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Communicating with VM before Network is configured.
From: John McCullough <jmccullo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:25:11 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:25:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:16:52PM -0700, tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Ligesh wrote:
>
> >  I have a specific requirement to assign static ips to a VM. My question
> > is: is there a way to accomplish this. In Vmware you can do it by
> > defining a variable machine.id in the config file variable, which can be
> > accessed from inside VM using the the vmware-guestd on linux or
> > vmwareservice.exe on linux. This is generally a good idea, and I want to
> > know if Xen supports something like this, or what I should do to get
> > this implemented etc etc.
>
> I expect vmware does this by controlling both the MAC address and the DHCP
> server, that certainly seems like the simplest way ... you could impliment
> the same functionality yourself.
>
> Failing that, you can pass info to the domU kernel "command line" the
> same way the root device is passed in. I use this method with my
> initrd to pass in nbd boot parameters:
>
>    extra="NBDHOST=65.39.183.43 NBDPORT=8001
>       ip=192.168.2.254:1.1.1.1:192.168.2.86:255.255.255.0"

I think the original poster was hoping to work with Windows.  You can
set the MAC address for the virtual machine in it's config via:
vif = ['mac=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE,type=ioemu,bridge=xenbr0']

If you really wanted to do it with a script and no DHCP server, you
could read the MAC address and set the ip based on the last byte or two.

~John McCullough