RE: [Xen-users] HVM questions

To: "Gregory Gee" <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] HVM questions
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 02:28:05 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:28:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As many as you can afford memory for.

> - Would it make sense to have more than one?
>
> - I heard that PCI passthrough or what ever it is called  is not
> supported in HVM. Is that a permanent limitation or will it
> soon become
> available?  Unfortunately, I need 1 Windows VM that can use dedicated
> PCI card.  Since Windows is only supported in HVM, then this is why I
> ask this question.

Yes, PCI passthrough is currently only supported for Para-virtual
guests.
It is expected to be solved (there's no technical limitation for this,
just that someone has to write some code to support it, basically - and
the principle is not difficult - just fill in the PCI-table in the guest
so that the device looks like its there). There are some other
limitations tho'. If the PCI-card uses direct memory access, you'd need
to use a para-virtual driver (i.e a driver that is aware of the fact
that physical memory isn't where the guest-OS thinks it is).

PIO-type card will work fine without special drivers - unfortunately,
very few PCI-cards are PIO-based...

> - I am seeing conflicting posts and wiki entries about AM2 Sempron
> support for SVM.  Does the AM2 Sempron support HVM?

As far as I can tell from the rather poorly documented
feature-differences, Sempron will not support SVM, but all other RevF
products (Turion, Athlon64 and the to-be-released Opterons) do. Sorry
about that...

--
Mats