Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3, LVM and FC4

To: "Andrew Ross" <aross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3, LVM and FC4
From: "Andrew McConnell" <armcconnell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 23:18:02 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:19:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 7/6/06, Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I assume you've created a filesystem on the LV and have drivers for said
fs compiled into your domU kernel.

I created an ext3 filesystem on the LV.  Whether ext3 drivers are
compiled into the kernel is not something I can answer without some
assistance but based on the output below, it looks like it's trying to
use ext2 instead.  I'm using the kernel that shipped with the tarball
from xensource.com.  I've made no modifications, nor did I think I
needed to.

You're missing the following line in /etc/xen/test.cfg :

root = "/dev/sda1 ro";

I've added the line above and seem to get further now:

[root@phllu3 ~]# xm create -c test.cfg
Using config file "/etc/xen/test.cfg".
Started domain vm1
Linux version 2.6.16-xen3_86.1_fc4
(rread@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.0.1 20050727 (Red
Hat 4.0.1-5)) #1 SMP Thu Apr 13 08:26:52 PDT 2006
(...)
EXT2-fs warning (device sda1): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 168k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

I'm guessing this is probably normal since there is nothing on the
filesystem so it can't execute /sbin/init ???

Thanks for your help.  Can you point me to some documentation that
will clarify the next steps?  I feel like I'm not catching on to
something extremely important about this architecture...I was
expecting to be able to go through a normal OS install upon successful
creation of the new domain.

-Andrew