Re: [Xen-users] Newbie DomU problem

Tim, many thanks. Slowly getting the message. Your explanation has been
helpful.
Brian

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:29:12AM +0800, Tim Post wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Why are you setting the root device in the dom-u to be /dev/sda6 ? Your
> dom-u has no such partition specified to be created in the config.
>
> Since you are using ATA drives, you are correct that it should be 'hda'
> and not 'sda'.
>
> Change all instances of 'hda6' to 'hda1' in your configuration file and
> all should be well. You are specifying how the dom-u deals with your
> gentoo image file when making it into a drive. (what disk it becomes on
> the dom-u side), this has absolutely nothing to do with dom-0.

Ok.

My config file

disk = [ 'file:/home/poncho/gentoo/gentoo.2006-0.img,hda1,w' ]
memory = 256
vcpus = 1
builder = 'linux'
name = 'vm1'
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:01:fa:c9' ]
localtime = 0
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
extra = 'TERM=xterm'
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-xen"
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"

Log indicates part success

etfront: Initialising virtual ethernet driver.
Registering block device major 3
Waiting for device /dev/hda1 to appear:  ok
rootfs: major=3 minor=1 devn=769
Mounting root /dev/hda1
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext3'
umount: /dev: device is busy
umount: /dev: device is busy

> In other words, this line :
>
> disk = [ 'file:/home/poncho/gentoo/gentoo.2006-1.img,hda1,w' ]
>
> Is telling the dom-u to mount that image as its own hda1.

Ok,

> root=/dev/hda1 ro is telling it that the newly created hda1 should also
> be the root file system, initially read only (as any Linux system would
> boot ..), then remount as read-write once init starts.
>
> I can't help you further with this issue unless you make these
> corrections first :) Again, completely forget hda6.

Yes, thanks for trying to point this out.

> You're also still missing a swap file system, which I really recommend
> due to the amount of RAM you've allocated the dom-u or you'll be back
> shortly wondering about malloc() error messages ;)

A swap file came with the gentoo.img. It is in the same directory at the
moment.

> Thanks
> Tim

He looks to the sky ;)