Re: [Xen-users] HVM problem

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM problem
From: Andrej Radonic <andrej.radonic@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:56:17 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:57:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jürgen Ladstätter schrieb:
Hi there,

i have a xen machine with gentoo as dom0 system.

Cpu is an amd x2 3800+ <- this is hvm compatible.

In my bios there is no info about hvm or smth I must enable to get hvm working.

I want to install winxp so I use following script:

[...]

And now when I call following cmd I get this error:

XEN ~ # xm create /xen/xp/xp_cd.cfg

Using config file "/xen/xp/xp_cd.cfg".

Error: Not an HVM capable platform, we stop creating!

I don’t know how to fix that … any ideas?

Jürgen,

it seems as if your platform is not HVM enabled or HVM suitable.

Try this to check if Xen is able to detect HVM support:

xm dmesg | grep -i vmx

you should get something like "VMXON is done"

Otherwise please check this page to see if your platform is able to support what you want to do:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors

I don't have an AMD-based machine so I don't know what your bios looks like. Try to find "SVM" instead of HVM.

Bye,
Andrej