Re: [Xen-users] Help with tracing Xen performance

To: Adrian Chadd <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Help with tracing Xen performance
From: Marcus Carlson <marcus.carlson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:08:20 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:33:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Try using LVM and see if it goes any faster. Loop back isnt optimal for this type of things.

Marcus

Adrian Chadd wrote:
Hi,

I'm testing out the Xen-3.0.2 (source from ~week ago) to see how
well it copes under load.

My current setup:

* server: 2ghz Athlon, 2gb RAM, 2x200gig ATA100 disks, software
  mirrored
* 14 domU - each with 1gb RAM, 1gb swap, 128mb RAM
* domUs: ext3 root filesystems on an ext3 dom0 data partition

* Run 13 domU's in looped kernel builds. The CPU is maxed but the
  disk IO stays low (under a megabyte a second.)

* Run a 'find /' in one domU - the total disk throughput (vmstat 1
  on dom0)  is slow (under a couple of megabytes a second) with
  the find running just as slowly.

* Just in case 'vmstat 1' in dom0 is lying somehow: no, the hard
  disk activity light isn't busy. :)

The other Xens aren't pushing the disk IO at all; so I'm wondering
why the 'find /' isn't able to transfer data any faster.

Does anyone have any hints where I'd start looking?

Adrian