[Xen-users] Re: LVM on DRBD -OR- DRBD on LVM?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: LVM on DRBD -OR- DRBD on LVM?
From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:57:44 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:58:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:49:48PM +1200, Simon wrote:
> In creating a "backup" dom0 server using drbd and using lvm partitions
> for the domU data, whats the best way to implement the drbd part?
>
> Should i have drbd mirroring the lvm partitions them selves or the
> data within them?

Depends.  Primarily, on whether you've going to be sharing the entire PV
between both machines, and never sharing some LVs with any other host.  If
you have a separate VG (on it's own PV) for your domUs, and are just
mirroring your domUs for availability, then mirroring the PVs is fine.
Otherwise (if you've got the dom0 disk on the same VG) then you'll have to
mirror the LVs individually, and incur the overhead of lots-o-drbd.

- Matt