[Xen-users] Some Xen newbie questions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Some Xen newbie questions
From: FreeBSD Prospect <mailings.freebsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:39:43 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:42:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

I'm a total Xen newbie, and I just started reading into all that stuff. Until
now I am curious about the following:

Where exactly is the kernel of a DomU stored, which is used for booting the
DomU?

I may be confused by this, but it was mentioned that the Xen Dom0 kernel
contains all the necessary hardware drivers, the Xen DomU kernel only the
necessary Xen driver modules to interface with Xen, and that a DomU kernel
can be reused by different DomUs, so I assume all used kernels simply go
to /boot, which lies in the Dom0 filesystem,or will it be copied over to each
DomU filesystem?

If an OS has been ported over to Xen, like FreeBSD or NetBSD, does that just
mean the kernel of that OS has been ported, or does it include something else
as well?

My idea was, to install Gentoo Linux in Dom0, and use pfsense (which is a
firewall distribution based on FreeBSD 6.1) in the first DomU. I could not
find any info about pfsense running with Xen, so I thought, most likely it is
not about porting a distribution, but just the OS in General or specifically
just the kernel, which would mean, as the ported version of FreeBSD 6.1
should run in DomU, the use of the pfsense firewall distribution should be
possible as well. Or are there any problems to be expected, if running a *BSD
in a DomU with Linux in Dom0?

--
Sincerely,
Michael

A FreeBSD Prospect, who is actually using Gentoo Linux