[Xen-users] Sarge: Xen 3.0.2-2 on Opteron 64bit

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Sarge: Xen 3.0.2-2 on Opteron 64bit
From: "Bart van den Heuvel" <bart@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:19:48 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:20:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I´ve been using Xen 2 for a while now and i´m ready for the new 3.0 stuff. Because i´m a fan of www.howtoforge.com I tried: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_xen3_debian. Trying to build Xen on Debian Sarge using a brand new Sun fire X2100 I immediately ran into trouble:

cc1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in

I have a 32bit install running a 64 bit kernel… (2.6.8-12-amd64-generic) So I guess the packaged gcc was build without 64bit support, no problem. On the neighbours mailinglist (developers) I came across the "make XEN_COMPILE_ARCH=x86_32" tip, very helpful!

It then compiled great! Even downloaded a new kernel for me. However, the howto states that I go into the kernel dir and do the menuconfig. Using:

cd linux-2.6.16-xen0

ARCH=xen

export ARCH

make oldconfig

make menuconfig

But in there is no xen arch in this tree, only the x86_64 arch! I´m lost! Can someone give me pointers on how to proceed? I want to compile a new kernel because I want quota, iptables and dummy netdriver. Thanks…

Gr,

Bart