Re: [Xen-users] Re: UPS serial port ttyS0

> I wish it were off by default and had to be enabled specifically, but
> that's just me.
>
> I wonder what the magic incantation is.

Well, this may or may not help, but I can get a serial console within
Linux by doing this:

title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6 (root=/dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)  # /dev/sda2
  kernel /boot/xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=524288 com1=115200,8n1
  module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/sda2 ro console=ttyS0

The 'com1' line (I think) tells Xen to put its output onto that serial
port, which I'm assuming then gets passed on to the Linux kernel.  At
any rate, that gets boot messages from both Xen and Linux sent over the
serial port, so I'd guess that if you removed the 'console' option
Linux output wouldn't go over the serial port, possibly making ttyS0
available within Linux itself.  Xen messages will probably still go
over the serial port though, which may or may not confuse your UPS.
Unless this is where the 'xencons' option fits in.

Of course I'm just guessing, I seem to recall that in the kernel config
I couldn't enable the option for the standard 16550 serial port driver.

Cheers,
Adam.