[Xen-users] Re: AMD SVN and Xen3

To: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: AMD SVN and Xen3
From: Marco <bigfoot29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:40:26 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:38:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the Info, Mr. Godawa :)

I installed Debian "Etch" for i386 (486 basically, however 32 Bit.)

Paravirtualized OS:
Installing a paravirtualized Debian "Sarge" using debootstrap didn't
perform that well... dunno if its because of the GCC-4'ish "Etch" or
whatever. The domains don't come up that well (but they are booting to a
certain point then just freeze. Will fiddle around with that later)

Hardware virtualized OS (HVM):
Works basically like a charm... there are a few quirks, but WinXP
(without SPs) installed without _any_ special help. When using vnc its
like sitting in front of it. After all Windows came up without problems.

Quirks:
- The mouse problem when using vnc
- the problem with "Zombied" domains when shutting down or rebooting one

I guess for both problems exist workarounds. Till now I haven't had time
for searching them. Next week will be the time. :)

Basically I want to announce that AMD Athlon64 CPUs with Stepping F
(without the Semperons) are HVM-capable. Due to the fact that all
HVM-needed things are inside the CPU (not like VT - CPU and
Northbridge). Can someone please add them to the list of capable CPUs?
Tested with an Athlon64 X2 4600+

More within the next week.
Maybe someone has one or two links for the remaining problems? :)

Regards, Bigfoot29