Re: [Xen-users] What is possible with vlan and xen ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] What is possible with vlan and xen ?
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 12:22:10 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:23:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Thomas von Steiger <thomas.vonsteiger@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> To work with xen clusters we need many network to manage this.
> What is possible with setup vlan's for xen quests ?

right now there are some limitations on the brdge's MTU (shouldn't, but there
are issues).  the easiest way is to 'split' the VLANs at dom0 and bridge them
like independent ethx ports.

> Maybe in 2 years we have networkinterfaces with switch technologie like
> virtualisation in cpu's.

InfiniBand is heading there, with nice things like sockets-like APIs for
hardware-managed streams that get routed to TCP at an external router, and also
some virtualization onboard that lets one card manage several VMs arbitrated by
hardware.  i've seem a presentation that proposed using IB even for
inter-domain
communications.

i'd love to see a small motherboard with IB integrated, to build storageless
blade-like modules

------
Javier