Re: AW: [Xen-users] Xen 3 networking issues

To: xen-users <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AW: [Xen-users] Xen 3 networking issues
From: "Demetri Mouratis" <dmourati.xen.users@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 04:09:14 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 08:49:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm currently looking to Red Hat to fix this up and make Xen
production quality in the next 1-6 months.  I agree, Xen is not ready
for production use currently, and certainly not for the scale you (and
I) need in terms of number of hosts and core functionality.

That being said, I am confident things will shape up in that
timeframe.  Outstanding issues I've seen include:

1.  Lack of support for X11 on certain video hardware
2.  The ethernet checksum issue you've raised above
3.  Serial console support (though this seems to be working for me at
the moment)
4.  Rapid deployment of arbitrary guest OSs.
5.  Bare metal deployment(though this is pretty well sorted out)

Depending on your distros of choice for both dom0 and domU, you may be
able to live with these timeframes for correction of the above issues.
If not, I would suggest scaling back expectations on delivery for
large scale deployments, or, in the alternative, signing an agreement
with one of the existing commercial software providers out there (Red
Hat, SuSe, 3Tera, XenSource) and evaluating their products and service
offerings against your needs.

My take is that I can live with the timeframe as it stands now, but
that 6 months is about as long as I can wait for production quality
virutalization for the data center.