Re: [Xen-users] Xen boot failed while mount root FS

> ERROR1: Before build initrd(mkinitrd -f -v initrd-2.6.16-xen.img
> 2.6.16-xen),I got this error during boot:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "/" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

I was getting this error when the driver for my disk controller wasn't
recognising the disk properly.  You would also get the same error if
the driver for your controller wasn't loading at all (e.g. if it was
built as a module and you're not using an initrd image.)

> ERROR2: After initrd built, I got another error here during boot:
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> Switching to new root
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!

I was getting an error similar to this when the driver wasn't
recognising the disk (same problem as above) only this time I was
booting with an initrd.  It correctly mounted the initrd image but
couldn't switch to the real root filesystem as the disk wasn't
being detected properly (and thus /dev/sda didn't exist.)

Check your boot messages and make sure your hard disk is correctly
picked up.

Cheers,
Adam.