Re: [Xen-users] Bare Metal Installation of Xen

To: Anand Gupta <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Bare Metal Installation of Xen
From: Mogens Valentin <mogensv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 22:46:13 +0200
Cc: chris@xxxxxxxxxx, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 13:44:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anand Gupta wrote:
On 6/5/06, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx <mailto:Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    As there are quite a few different distros around, it would be quite a
    task to do something sensible with this if you start off building a CD
    with Xen as the basis, and then adding a distro - Xen + SuSE, Xen + RH,
    Xen + Fedora, Xen + Debian, Xen + Mandrake, etc, etc. It's much better
    to have the distributions come with Xen itself... ;-)

Oh yes it certainly is much better. However these distros have their own ways of implementing things. For example, i had a chance to use fedora core 5 on a live box, and i tried to use the xen version bundled along with it. Ironically they compiled xennet as a module instead of compiling it inside the kernel. Well editing the /etc/modprobe.conf and adding the alias line and doing a modprobe did the trick. However it should have worked out of the box.

I guess over a period of time, these distros will fix such issues and life will be much easier ;)

Dunno it we can talk about a 'fix' here. Having such in the kernel versus as a module will require a complete kernel reinstall + reboot when a relatively smaller thing like your mentioned xennet changes.
I'd most always prefer modularization over build-into-kernel. YMMV ;)

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin