RE: [Xen-users] Moved from Xen 2 to Xen 3... some questions..

To: george@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Moved from Xen 2 to Xen 3... some questions..
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:08:13 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 06:07:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
George,

Steve Kemp kindly answered a few of your questions.

I'll try to answer some of the others, to the best of my abilities....

1. Was answered by Steve.

2. HVM support is automatically built into the kernel. So, as long as you have a processor that supports AMD SVM or Intels VMX technology, Xen will do what it needs to. LibVNCServer is needed by QEMU if you want to use VNC to view your virtual machine - you need EITHER VNC or SDL to see what's going on on a fully-virtualized machine - unless you want to connect to the virtual machine through some other networked means, of course - you can use SSH to connect to a Linux machine (or a Windows machine if you can find a SSH service to run on it), but that may not be what you WANT to do... And for debugging the boot process, it can be quite useful to see what's going on!

If it works, you'll see the Intel version of this:
(XEN) Initializing CPU#0
(XEN) Detected 2785.881 MHz processor.
(XEN) CPU0: AMD Flush Filter disabled
(XEN) CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
(XEN) CPU: L2 Cache: 1024K (64 bytes/line)
(XEN) CPU 0(2) -> Core 0
(XEN) AMD SVM Extension is enabled for cpu 0.
(XEN) Intel machine check architecture supported.
(XEN) Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
(XEN) CPU0: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor stepping 02
Where it says "AMD SVM Extension is enabled for cpu 0" it should say "Intel VMX Extension enabled" (or something very similar). If you don't see that in the boot messages, then you haven't got VMX enabled in the processor, and you need to do something to fix it.

3. I don't know if all BIOS has a option for this or not - I know one of our machines has the option the wrong way around - Set it to disabled and it works! If your BIOS doesn't do the right thing, you'd think by now that the latest BIOS for that motherboard would have the feature - unless it's so old that the manufacturer no longer updates the BIOS unless REALLY necessary of course... Since I work with AMD hardware, and my motherboards are all internal AMD prototypes, I can't really say for Intel products... See above to know if it works or not...

4. Yes, to be able to use a dual core processor, you should compile Xen as SMP, but I think that's the default today anyways - whether you also compile Dom0 as SMP is up to you. Depending on how much traffic you get through Dom0, it may make sense to do so, but it may also cause more load on the processors from Dom0 which prevents some other domain from running - and that may be more important - depends on what you do in your system, really...  As to allocating processors to domains, the Hypervisor will allocate processors for the domain - but you can tell it what to do. Many people recommend setting a particular processor to be Dom0 always, and not let DomU's run on that processor ever. That reduces the time to switch between DomU and Dom0.

5, 6 are answered by Steve.

Non-numbered question on "noreboot": Yes, if you shutdown the system with noreboot on the command-line, it will not restart after you shut it down...
--
Mats