[Xen-users] Contending RAM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Contending RAM
From: Andy Davidson <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:54:02 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:55:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, guys --

We make fairly extensive use of Xen on our QA and testing platform. We like to pseudo-physically separate apache instances running different release candidates of our software.

This works well. However, we could do with more ram in our 'child' virtual machines.

We have 4GB on each host computer. We like to install 10 or so virtual machines on each host. This leaves each VM very resource starved. Since we only tend to hit environments on an ad-hoc basis, we need the vms available, but a lot of resources get wasted as they tend to be hit one after the other.

Ideally, we'd like to content system ram - so each machine is configured to have 1GB available. This obviously means we need to contend memory .. probably 3:1 (including the requirements of the Dom-0). Is this possible ?

cheers
-a

(sample config file from oru setup below)

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12.6-xenU"
memory = 256
name = "qa01"
vif = [ 'ip=10.22.22.101' ]
disk = ['file:/vm/p1/qa01.img,hda1,w','file:/vm/p1/qa01.swap,hda2,w']
netmask="255.255.254.0"
gateway="10.0.12.1"
root = "/dev/hda1"
extra = "4"