[Xen-users] NFS root mount problem

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] NFS root mount problem
From: Peggy Fenner <peggy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 04:56:03 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 May 2006 04:56:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello. =)

I'm having a bit of trouble with my nfs xen installation and have
spent much time trying to research/figure out this problem with no luck, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me here. =)

I've successfully installed xen 3.02 on Linux RH4 on my Sun single proc
opteron v20z server.

I've installed what I believe to be a base Linux OS on a Netapp partition
and am trying to create a subdomain referencing the netapp nfs mount.
The xm create dies with the following errors:

Making device nodes
File descriptor 3 left open
  No volume groups found
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

My nfs configs from my config file are the following:
# Root device for nfs.
root = "/dev/nfs"
# The nfs server.
nfs_server = '172.21.156.15'
# Root directory on the nfs server.
nfs_root   = '/vol/xen/xenlinux-mv-01'

I can mount that manually.

The fstab in the netapp mount looks like this:
# Root
209.157.156.15:/vol/xen/xenlinux-mv-01 / nfs defaults 0 0 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0 none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

I'm really not sure what im missing...

Thank you!
Peggy Fenner
UNIX Systems Administrator