Re: [Xen-users] Production Xen Deployment (Windows Guests)

To: "Alex Pearson" <alex.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Production Xen Deployment (Windows Guests)
From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:23:47 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:24:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/24/06, Alex Pearson <alex.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,
    Appologies in advance i know this topic comes up a lot, but i
couldn't find answers to these specific questions.
    I've been looking through the list and couldn't really find any
explicit examples of people deploying Windows Server Guests in
production Xen environment.  Have many people done this?  Is xen stable
enough to do this?   Has windows proved stable when running on xen....
What hardware    are people using (we normally buy HP servers).
    If it proves practical we would hopefully use iscsi and our NetApp
filer for the storage too.  Any comments or examples of setups?
    Any responses are very much appreciated, in an effort to redeem
myself for asking such a commonly covered question i'm happy to add my
finding to the wiki to help other find the info easier ;-)  I didn't
turn anything up searching the mailing list.
    I guess what i'm really looking for is someone to say "i've tried
this, and this works great! ;-)" (with an example of what 'this' is!)

Thanks in advance!

Alex

If you don't know, for Xen to work with a Windows Guest it requires VT support in the hardware/bios (Intel hardware only, AMD is not shipping its equivalent silicon yet).

I've seen a several people posting on this list about the above including some benchmarks, but I don't know if any of them are in production.

Resources I've found to better know what has VT support:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/IntelVT
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table.pdf

Note: Maybe people here that have working systems could update the wiki site above.

Also if your looking for a vendor that will support your xen setup I copied this from another list:

A really neat vendor to add to your list is Virtual Iron

One aspect of their approach to VT is to treat each node on an
infiniband network as a NUMA node in a single image scale up approach.

It is public info that Intel Capital is investing there.
<<

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer