Re: [Xen-users] LVM2 snapshots and XEN = problem :(

To: "Anton Khalikov" <anton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] LVM2 snapshots and XEN = problem :(
From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 08:06:57 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 05:07:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/24/06, Anton Khalikov <anton@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Emiliano Gabrielli wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 May 2006 05:58, Anton Khalikov wrote:
>
>>Actually I think you don't need to power off your system except of domUs
>>to run "lvchange -a n" to be able to remove backup snapshot
>

> I can confirm this

It seems like it depends on the kernel version. After I installed latest
xen-testing (3.0.2-2 with 2.6.16.13) I can't power off my afrected domU
anymore because after lvremove it freezes and doesn't respond to both xm
console and ssh :(

--
Best regards
Anton Khalikov

LVM Snapshots have not been 100% reliable in 2.6.x kernels for any use.  IIRC Redhat  has not been supporting them in their enterprise releases.  They are supposed to support them in their v5 release at the end of the year, so hopefully their LVM team is working on it.

One recent relevant post on the LVM list I found was:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lvm.general/7762/

Sounds like at least that fix should be in very recent 2.6.16 kernels like you tried.  I would not be surprised if there are other bugs not yet addressed.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group