[Xen-users] VCPUs with many (20?) domains

To: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] VCPUs with many (20?) domains
From: "Robert Hulme" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:16:05 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 May 2006 03:16:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My question is about the stability (maturity?) and performance of the
VCPU feature in Xen3.

I have a quad core (dual dual core) Opteron box with 8GB of RAM (4x1GB
per CPU) which is going to host about 20 (lets say) domU's. The domU's
are likely to be LAMP servers.

At the moment I've got the default Xen setup where there is 1VCPU per
domain. I am wondering if it is better in terms of performance to
change this to 4VCPUs per domain or if this will detrimentally affect
the overall performance of the domains as a whole.

Anyone have any hints / suggestions / ideas?

Thanks
-Rob

"98.5% of DNA is considered to be junk DNA with no known purpose.
Maybe it's XML tags." -- Anon

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Kernighan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/