Re: [Xen-users] XEN witout video

To: Yves Dorfsman <yves@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN witout video
From: Phillip Jordan <phillip.m.jordan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:05:41 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:06:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yves Dorfsman wrote:

> Will I be able to install XEN without a video card ?
I don't know about whether you need a physical video card in the
computer, in all computers I've used, the BIOS wouldn't allow booting
without a video card. However, assuming you can get Linux installed you
should be fine if you just can't *see* the video output. I've installed
Xen via ssh in the past, once the dom0 OS is running fine.

Xen itself is fairly thin - it outputs a couple of lines to the console
before loading the dom0 OS, and there isn't any user interaction
required for this, and unless it's set up badly, you shouldn't need the
Xen status output.

> I am building a low power machine, and am looking at not putting any
> video card. I read that XEN is able to send it's console to the serial
> port, but will that be sufficient for installing ?
Again, I don't think Xen itself will be the problem here. Installing Xen
is a matter of changing the boot loader configuration, and setting up
the dom0 kernel correctly, which is usually all done from an
already-installed OS.

> Also, can the console be sent to a network port instead ?
Sorry, I don't know this one.

~phil