[Xen-users] How to use DomU as network backend?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] How to use DomU as network backend?
From: Matthias Wolf <matze.wolf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:21:45 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 May 2006 02:22:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

i really stuck. I am trying to get a DomU working as network backend.
All my systems are based on Gentoo with Xen 3.0.2 and Kernel 2.6.16.

What is working right now? I tell you:

I have two physical PCI network cards hidden from Dom0 and bound to the
DomU which should work as backend, i will call it firewall.
I have the firewall itself with two physical network cards and one virtual.
I have started the firewall with "netif=1" so that i could use it as network
backend
I have a bridge in the firewall where the virtual network card is bound to.

So everything is working, isn't it? No!

If i want to create a new DomU which uses the firewall as backend,
"vif=['backend=firewall']", i always got an error:

# Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

What am i doing wrong? Is this a Gentoo specific problem with udev?

Best regards
Matze