Re: [Xen-users] How do you manage your domU kernel modules?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How do you manage your domU kernel modules?
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 22:31:40 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 May 2006 20:34:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 08 May 2006 6:38 pm, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> Just doing Xen 3.0.0 to Xen 3.0.2 upgrades here, and realising that copying
> the modules for the new kernel into all of the domUs is a massive pain.
> What do people do to alleviate this pain?  NFS mount in all the domUs?
> Manual copying?  Some sort of pre-boot autocopy?  Some other clever way?
> I've got a mix of self-managed and customer-managed VMs, which complicates
> matters slightly.

if your domU's are short-lived (reboot frequently), the easiest is to use a
shared read-only partition.  useful both for modules and most of the core
installation.  if you have to keep the domU's running for long periods, or if
shutting down all domU's is out of the question, then NFS should do the trick
(until the arrival of XenFS)

--
Javier