Re: [Xen-users] Re: 3.0.2x as a debian package?

Matthew Palmer skrev den 07-05-2006 01:56:
On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 08:13:29PM +0200, Morten Christensen wrote:
On 5/5/06, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hopefully never.  3.0.2 (+some extras from hg mainline) is now in Debian
unstable, and appropriately patched kernels are now available as well.
I have tried to install the xen-k7-kernel on Debian unstable, but I cannot boot it. It panics with an error about unable to mount root fs.
My setup is as simple as possible with 1 partition, ext3 and no LVM.

Debian kernels all need an initrd to boot.  For some reason, the Xen kernels
don't have the necessary bling in their install scripts to automatically
build the initrd at package install time (one of the niggles I'm going to
have a look at next week at work).  So, you need to run

mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-1-xen-k7 2.6.16-1-xen-k7

And then add that initrd.img to your grub config:

/boot/grub/menu.lst is
title      Xen
root     (hd0,0)
kernel   /boot/xen-3.0-i386.gz  dom0_men=256M
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-1-xen-k7 root=/dev/hda1 ro
module /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-1-xen-k7

- Matt
That did the trick. Thank you for your help.

--
Morten Christensen