[Xen-users] X in domU, using pciback and 2 graphics cards: X.org tty pro

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] X in domU, using pciback and 2 graphics cards: X.org tty problem
From: Phillip Jordan <phillip.m.jordan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:03:11 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:03:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

The question of running X in a domU in some form or another has been
asked before on a theoretical level, but I didn't find any questions or
answers on actually getting it to work.

Here goes:
I have a standard AthlonXP-based PC system with two graphics cards, one
AGP, one PCI, and I'd like to run X in a Xen domU. The kernel is 2.6.16
from the latest OpenSUSE 10.1 beta, which also comes with Xen 3.0.2.
Both domains use the same stock kernel.

I've set up my dom0 and domU satisfactorily apart from X. Using pciback,
I've forwarded a bunch of devices, including the AGP bridge, (is this
sensible?) the actual AGP graphics card, and two PCI devices belonging
to the sound card. The PC boots with the PCI graphics card, and thus
this is what dom0 uses.

PCI forwarding appears to work, with the sound card functioning
perfectly from the domU.

The problem I'm having with X.org (6.9.0 as it happens) at the moment
doesn't seem to be associated with the PCI device forwarding itself, but
 at an earlier stage.

In particular, startx fails with

-------------
Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)
-------------

There are also some other errors:

-------------
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETSTATE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
-------------

But that's all /var/log/Xorg.0.log says on the issue.

Now, I've never understood virtual terminals, but it seems that the only
tty that exists in the domU is tty1. So I tried the command 'X vt1' as
well, on the off chance that something might happen. Now Xorg.0.log
gives me:

-------------
(++) using VT number 1

(WW) xf86OpenConsole: Could not save ownership of VT
(WW) xf86OpenConsole: chown /dev/tty0 failed: No such file or directory
(WW) xf86OpenConsole: VT_GETSTATE failed: Invalid argument
(WW) lnx_savefont: cannot obtain font info
(WW) xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Invalid argument
(WW) xf86OpenConsole: VT_WAITACTIVE failed: Invalid argument

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: VT_GETMODE failed Invalid argument

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETSTATE failed: Invalid argument
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Invalid argument
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Invalid argument

At the same stage as the error I get with 'startx'.

I'm guessing I need to create additional VTs with the correct feature
set for X.org to run VT_GETMODE (whatever that may be) on.

Does anyone have any pointers for getting such ttys in a domU?

Thanks

~phil