Re: [Xen-users] Memory bound applications

To: Mathias Waack <Mathias.Waack@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Memory bound applications
From: Taneli Leppä <taneli@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:52:25 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 04:53:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Why not just set up the swap in the guests?

Mathias Waack wrote:
we're using several test- and development-servers as virtual Xen-machines running on one host. Unfortunately our main application needs much memory. Its not a problem at a first view, because usually only very few instances are running at the same time. But if I understand Xen correctly, its only possible to distribute the physical memory of the machine, not the whole virtual memory of dom0. Let me give an example to explain my problem: The machine has 4GB of physical memory, the application needs about 1GB (mainly used as a kind of shared cache between the instances). Now I would like to have say 4 test and 4 development machines, thus using 8 doms. Would be easy to give dom0 just 4+x GB swap, and distribute the resulting 8GB on all machines. Yes I know, if all machines are running the whole system would be very busy swapping, but I'm fairly sure this case will be happen very seldom. But this seems to be not possible with Xen. It allows only to distribute the physical memory about the machines and ensures, that the sum of the domX-memory must not be larger than the available physical memory. In my case I can only create 3 doms at the same time.
Is there something I'm missing? Any solution?

Mathias

  Taneli Leppä         | Crasman Co Ltd
  <taneli@xxxxxxxxxx>  | <http://www.crasman.fi/>