[Xen-users] Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
From: Markus Schuster <ma.schuster@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:45:10 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:46:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ernesto Rodriguez Reina schrieb:
> [..]
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
> SCSI subsystem initialized
> register_blkdev: cannot get major 8 for sd
> umount: devfs: not mounted
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
> umount: devfs: not mounted
> pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Do you use the default kernel images that came with XEN? If so, they
don't include devfs support and so a standard debian initrd won't work,
as it is heavily based on devfs.
I get very good results using yaird as initrd toolkit. There are
backports available for sarge, have a look at http://www.backports.org/.

Greetings,
Markus