[Xen-users] Re: Demo Live CD, networking, external IP

To: Jacek Poplawski <jacekp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Demo Live CD, networking, external IP
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 22:18:15 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:23:58 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 05:08:22PM +0200,
 Jacek Poplawski <jacekp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> What I want to achieve is access to the domU from the outside world.

No problem.

> I've read that it is possible to have external IP (visible from
> outside) for domU.

Yes. From my (limited) experience, setting the IP address of a domU
from /etc/xen/something.cfg does not always work. I always use DHCP or
a fixed IP address configured from the domU itself.

> I've read http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking, but it's very
> complex.

It depends on how you installed Xen but, most of the times, the basic
networking (a virtual switch in the dom0) "just works". I had nothing
to do on my first Xen installation. Type "ifconfig" on the dom0 to see
if the switch is there (xenbr0).

Did you try to just set the IP address on the domU? It should work.