[Xen-users] Xen networking on different vlans

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen networking on different vlans
From: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:07:46 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:09:41 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

        I have a xen server that needs to run a domU on a different vlan than
xen's. I have configured my switch (a cisco catalyst) to tag every
untagged packet to the default vlan (the one in which is dom0) and to
accept tagged packets (for that domU).

        I have xenbr0 linked with the eth0, the default network. Then I run

* vconfig add eth0 101 -> To create a virtual interface with vlan
tagging.
* /etc/xen/scripts/network start netdev=eth0.101 bridge=xen-br101
antispoof=no -> to start xen services in this new bridge interface.

        Then I configure a domU to use this new vlan with this configuration:

kernel = "/boot/xen-linux-2.6.12.6-atica-xenu-xen0"

memory  = 256
name    = "test2"

disk    = ['phy:vm_volumes/root.dhcp1,hda1,w',
                   'phy:vm_volumes/var.dhcp1,hda2,w',
                   'phy:vm_volumes/swap.dhcp1,hda3,w']

vif = [ 'bridge=xen-br302' ]
ip="172.19.3.123"
netmask="255.255.255.0"
gateway="172.19.3.254"
hostname="test2"

root = "/dev/hda1"
extra="3"

        172.19.3.0 is the network in that vlan.

        The problem I have is that when this new domU is booted, I can ping to
its IP address, but I can't access to the services is running (for
example, sshd). It neithers can connect to any service. For example, it
can't resolve any domain name (it can't connect to my nameservers). The
router is well configured, because I can ping to hosts in other
networks.

        Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong?

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática