[Xen-users] Intel VT-x resources & supported processors

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Intel VT-x resources & supported processors
From: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 06:24:30 -0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:26:09 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Folks --

I'm trying to upgrade my home computer systems and wanted to do so with Intel processors that support VT-x. I've been looking all over the Intel web site for a list of specific processors that support VT- x and have found the following resources. I will doubtless post this all to the Xen wiki at some point, but I thought I'd start with an e- mail. Please reply with follow-up e-mail for corrections and clarifications.

First, here's Intel's Virtualization Technology Specification for the IA-32 Intel Architecture (which includes IA-32 with EM64T):

ftp://download.intel.com/technology/computing/vptech/C97063-002.pdf

Intel's Software Developer FAQ: Intel Virtualization Technology

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/223724.htm

Intel's Virtualization Resource Center:

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/server/virtualization.htm

Intel's Virtualization White Paper:

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/server/virtualization_wp.pdf

Interestingly, here's the XenSource Inside Xen 3.0 White Paper:

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/server/ xen_virtualization_wp.pdf

Intel processors that support virtualization in hardware:

1) Pentium D 900 series (not the 800 series)

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium_D/index.htm

2) Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 955 and 965 (not 840)

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

That's all that I could find on the Intel web site that specified support for VT. Please add to this list with updates.

-- Randy