Re: [Xen-users] Xen on multiple public IP's

To: "mrkris@xxxxxxxxxx" <mrkris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on multiple public IP's
From: "Eric Peterson" <srcfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:28:29 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:29:51 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 3/20/06, mrkris@xxxxxxxxxx <mrkris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hiya list,
>
> I am new to XEN and have been pulling out my hair trying to figure this
> out. I have 25+ dedicated public IP's and a very nice server. I have
> always been a security nut running openbsd as my primary server operating
> system, until I found XEN. I love XEN thus far and it's stability, but I
> can't seem to get this working properly.
>
> I want each separate dom to have a public IP. I have read the docs,
> followed the tutorial here:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/360
>
> I can't seem to get networking functioning properly on it. Do I want
> bridge or route? Any help would be appreciated. If you need any particular
> info, please let me know.
>
> thanks.
> mrkris

You would just need to run in bridge mode with each domU having an IP
in the public range.  I would personally setup a firewall that mapped
public IPs to nat-ed addresses, but that's just me.

In your Xen scripts for each domU, are you giving them a public IP like this:

# Network
ip = "192.168.1.97"   # Pretend this is public
netmask = "255.255.255.0"
gateway = "192.168.1.1"

Are the domU machines being given IPs that are part of the same subnet
as dom0? You will need to do this for bridged networking to work out
of the box.