Re: [Xen-users] Best practice for Dom0

To: Michael Lessard <michael.lessard@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Best practice for Dom0
From: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:06:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:08:20 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Okay,

I will try less general answers to your very general questions:

Michael Lessard schrieb:

Hi everybody !

I would like to know what are the good practice in Dom0 utilisation  ...

- Does it prefer that i use Dom 0 only for Xen Hypervisor ?
It can e. g. depend on the load you want to place on the domUs and the file system. I am running domUs off LVM devices (with LVM in dom0) and found it to make that more reliable if dom0 does not make much itself AND is dedicated a cpu (on smp servers). That is a load dependent issue. If your domUs are bored altogether or make their cpu share run wild at different times, you might not find any problems with LVM. It especially is a problem when you use the snapshot feature of LVM (which is so handy that I still use it despite those problems).

In general you could say: If your domUs do things that put work on dom0 (like using LVM partitions in my case) you might be better off not to use dom0 for anything else.

- If yes, how much ram i need to reserv for Dom0  ?
I have run dom0 without LVM snapshots with 64 MB of RAM (on Debian Sarge stable with a very basic install). With LVM snapshots they need 256 MB at least.

Dirk