Re: [Xen-users] domU with redhat over a debian based dom0

To: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU with redhat over a debian based dom0
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:23:00 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:24:23 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Angel L. Mateo wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I have running xen over a debian server (debian sarge). Now I would
> like to configure a domU with redhat (AS 4), do you now any way to
> install it?

I know of no tool to easily create redhat base systems / chroots on
Debian (and i've searching for this in course of some other development)

If Centos is "enough" for you, you have two options:

1) use a readily built base image from
http://jailtime.org/download:centos:v4.2

2) try to bootsrap a basic image with rpmstrap:
http://rpmstrap.pimpscript.net/
( with this, your mileage may vary, I had problems with it, but theres a
new version in the meantime which I didn't test yet)

If you really need exactly redhat, as Redhat is not free to distribute,
you have to install a redhat machine (maybe in a desktop emulator like
qemu) make a chroot there (lookup docs to build redhat chroots, or
redhat installation from other distributions into a directory), and take
this as the base for your VM.

I'd be heavily interested if you find another way!

Henning