Re: [Xen-users] newbie: suse 10.1b6 domU network problem

To: "Stephan A. Rickauer" <stephan.rickauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] newbie: suse 10.1b6 domU network problem
From: Kurt Garloff <garloff@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:21:40 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:44:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stephan,

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 10:55:48AM +0100, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:
[...]
> > Since I am new to xen I assume I miss something crucial here. Or beta6
> > has a bug? Any hint for enlightment is welcome.
>
> I received one private reply recommending not using SuSE. However, I am
> kind of sceptical here since Kurt Garloff from SuSE explicitely writes
> Xen RPM's for SuSE.
>
> However, I wrote him an email explaining the problem and to share the
> gained knowledge I'll translate his German reply here:
>

> "To make everything work with SuSE you have to set up your network as
> follows:
> 1) choose the 'classic' way of setting up network (no 'NetworkManager'
> as offered by Yast)
> 2) put STARTMODE of ifplugd to 'onboot' (defaults to 'on connect')

in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth*

> 3) turn off SuSEfirewall2 or configure it properly

which means enabling FW_ROUTE, listing the xenbr0 interface in
FW_DEV_xxx and allowing FW_ALLOW_CLASS_ROUTING. Watch the kernel
netfilter log messages if things go wrong. Be aware that martians
are not always indicating a problem.

> 4) enable ip_forward (either by using Yast or sysctl.conf)"

IP_FORWARD="yes" in /etc/sysconfig/sysctl, which sets the
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward kernel sysctl parameter.

> In my case 2, 3, 4 and a reboot fixed it. I have full network of Dom0
> and DomU now. I'll put Kurt Garloffs hints into the wiki on
>
>    http://en.opensuse.org/Installing_Xen3

I'm really glad my hints helped you to get Xen3 working on the 10.1
betas.

Thanks for documenting this in the Wiki; I should have done that, but
there's a limited number of things I can get done, so I really
appreciate you going forward with it. I'm also glad that you pointed
out that this issue hits many people; I'm trying to follow xen-devel,
but I'm not able to regularly read xen-users. If any more such issues
pop up in the future, please point them out to me.

Another alternative is using routing in xen-config.sxp (and masquerading
or proxy-arp) rather than bridging. It's somewhat less complicated, but
is less straightforward if you want to do VM migration.

One more remark:
The network-bridge script renames interfaces (eth->peth0, veth0->eth0),
which fails in case the device is in use. The script does ifdown
them, but this is not effective if ifplugd or NetworkManager run.
I'm currently investigating the best way to solve this. One possibility
would be to make sure ifdown is effective for these cases as well.
The other option (which I currently believe is more promising) would
be to create another boot script that runs early and does the remaining
prior to the network scripts run for the first time.

So I hope the restriction to not use NetworkManager nor ifplugd will
go away soon.

So we'll make sure there's less (ideally no) tweaking required in
future betas.

Best,
--
Kurt Garloff, Head Architect Linux, Novell Inc.