RE: [Xen-users] Several XEN questions

To: "Alexander Wilms" <alex.wilms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Several XEN questions
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:01:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 10:03:11 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Most importantly, the HVM (VT/SVM) guest would rely on qemu-dm, which lives in
Dom0. And there's currently no way to reboot Dom0 without also reloading Xen,
so the first problem would be to disconnect Dom0 from Xen. If you loose Xen,
then NO DomU would work at all, obviously.

There is work going on with kexec, which will allow you to replace the Linux
kernel without rebooting. This MAY solve the problem [but I'm not sure how far
along the kexec work has got]. Here's some info on kexec under Linux [I haven't
read all of it, I just googled for kexec - there may be better material, I got
MANY hits]: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-kexec.html

Whilst it would potentially be possible to do so, it would make much more sense
to shuffle DomU to a second machine using the migration features in Xen, then
reboot/replace Dom0 on the first machine. Admittedly, migration, I think, is
still broken on HVM systems, but it's certainly meant to work at some future
point in time. Migration will of course stop the domain for a brief moment, so
if you want five nines service availability, you'll have to combine this with
some other fail-over technology, like having two servers running the same DomU
in parallell or some such. [In which case it may not be needed to move the DomU
in the first place, of course].

If you view the Dom0 as part of the Operating System, and DomU's as
"applications", then it becomes more clear.

--
Mats