Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 02:18 +0000, Alex Pearson wrote:
> Thanks Ryan, that was just the info i needed!
>     Got the pci passthrough working, but couldn't achieve what i was
> after....
> I wanted to boot my machine, then pass the USB controller (plugged extra
> keyboard & mouse into this), graphics and sound card to the domU, so it
> could use them for X11 etc....
>     However i couldn't get X11 to start up, it kept giving me errors
> such as "xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0" in the Xorg & gdm
> logs.  When doing this i noticed the screen connected to the graphics in
> question did get the initial xen dmesg's, even though i'd configured
> both xen & and dom0 to use the serial port as console.
>
>     If anyone has managed to get this kind of setup working help would
> be much appreciated, however i think i might just have to accept i'm
> asking too much ;-)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alex

That'd be pretty neat if you could get it working, but there's a lot of
complicating factors. If you only have one graphics card, it's probably
being grabbed by xen somewhere deep inside for that initial boot stuff.
You might have better luck (although there's still the xf86OpenConsole
problem) if you try putting a 2nd graphics card in your box and hiding
that one from dom0.

I believe the xf86OpenConsole error has something to do with the way Xen
installs the console driver in the domUs. I think X11 is looking for the
source of its keyboard input, but I'm not 100% positive. I can't help
you much here except if you're willing to get down and dirty with the
source code, I'd recommend taking a look at how that function in X11
interacts with the Xen console driver (all or most of it is in
drivers/xen/console/).

Ryan