[Xen-users] problem with use of AOE in xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kmestery@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] problem with use of AOE in xen
From: "Jayesh Salvi" <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:16:05 -0600
Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:16:41 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi list,

I am using AOE (ATA over Ethernet) for solving the storage problem in
Virtual Machine migration. [http://sourceforge.net/projects/aoetools/]

I have an AOE device (for e.g. /dev/etherd/e9.0) on both the machines
between which I am going to do VM migration. I boot the domU on one of
the machines, it comes up successfully. So my config file has "disk =
[ 'phy:/dev/etherd/e9.0,/dev/hda1,w' ]".

Then I migrate it to another physical machine over network using xm
migrate. The migration is successful. I can log into the console of
the domU on target machine. I can run few commands. However when I try
to write to the hard disk, touch a file for instance, I get weird
behavior. First time, my laptop rebooted, on second attempt the domU
hung.

I can however mount the AOE device (/dev/etherd/e9.0 for example) and
read and write to it. That makes me suspect that it has to do some
thing with domU's backed/fronted block driver that might be causing
trouble. But I am not sure.

Has anyone else tried AOE tools and came across such problems?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
--
Jayesh