Re: [Xen-users] VT-X - Documentation and Requirements

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VT-X - Documentation and Requirements
From: Luke <secureboot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:15:34 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:16:50 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:33 PM, Erik Dykema wrote:

Hi Luke-
    I'm trying to figure out the same thing... I see lots of post
like, "I've got an intel xyz processor and a mobo which supports vt",
but no one mentions exactly what the mobo is...

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-02/ msg00897.html

    I've read a lot of documentation on Intel's website, and also an
article on anandtech , which told me which processors support VT, but
also vauge discussion that 'chipset' and 'bios' support is necessary.
However, none of the chipset or mobo docs (even intel branded boards!)
describe their support for VT.  It's very confusing...
     Some places I've seen it rumored that all chipsets 945g and above
have vt support, this post:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-02/ msg00886.html

     suggests that it also works (at least, almost...) with 915
chipsets.  It would be nice to have a definitive list.  Any
intelligence you receive on this question would be appreciated...

Unfortunately, I've figured out nearly nothing.

I'd really like to see a page that explains:

1) What is necessary to run unmodified domUs - this is the big question - do you need a BIOS? Does every BIOS support this (I know this isn't the case)?

2) An example list of which motherboards support VT-X

3) What exactly the BIOS does to enable VT-X

If I figure any of this out somewhere other than the list, I'll post back here with an update.