Re: [Xen-users] Control Panel For Xen

To: Linn Boyd <lboyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Control Panel For Xen
From: Eric Peterson <srcfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:58:46 -0600
Cc: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:11:44 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2/13/06, Linn Boyd <lboyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         1. Is there any interest in this, and if so what level of interest?

I use Xen for a hosting service and would be very interested in this.
I would be willing to donate any help I can should the project be made
open source which leads me to the next topic.

>         2. I am considering if I should open source these or if they should
> be left closed source and maybe on a subscription basis only. The investment
> in time and money has been great, and the competition would use this
> software as well.

It's your project and you've spent a lot of time on it so you
ultimately need to decide.  I would say to release it open source
since you are after all using Xen which has required huge amounts of
time and money but remains open source. Xen has lots of competition
too.

How much money do you think you would make from this service?  I think
you'd probably make very little in the end as someone else will
probably release a similar project in place of this one if it's not to
be made open source. It's up to you, but I think your project stands a
better chance of improving and being used if it's OSS. Look at the Xen
community and ask yourself if anyone would use it as a subscription
service?

My $0.02.

Thanks,
Eric