Re: [Xen-users] AMD processors with Pacifica and Xen

To: Bas Mevissen <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] AMD processors with Pacifica and Xen
From: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:22:18 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:33:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

1) Are Pacifica AMD's going to be sold soon and will they fit on this
board? The announcements about Pacifica-containing CPU's talk about
940-pin socketed CPU's.
not soon, maybe in some month and I would NOT expect that a board you
buy today will run with the next processor-generation, even if it is the
same socket and if it "should" run - it's just the experience of the past!

2) Is AMD a good choice for a box with a number of server-like guests
running on it or should I buy for example Intel Xeon (32 bit or 64
I think they are both more or less the same, but both you can't buy
right now, maybe in Q2/06.

If you want VMX-XEN-support NOW you have to buy a desktop with Intel
Pentium EE or the Intel Pentium D >=920, I think both support Intel/VT!

3) How realistic is it to expect a Windows guest (say, XP pro) running
on a Linux Xen dom0 by Q3 of this year, provided that I buy the right
Well if you have the right Pentium or devel-hardware it already can
work. But all the graphicstuff is not very fast, you have to connect to
your machine via VNC or whatever, access to IO is not very performant
and the access to PCI-devices is still in development!

I think that virtualisation with XEN is more for servers than for
clients, letting run a lot of application-servers where you don't need
very often contact directly via ssh, console or VNC!
--

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf