Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.0 32bit-pae (testing changeset 8270) crashes(pgt

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.0 32bit-pae (testing changeset 8270) crashes(pgtable.c:284, kernel bug?)
From: Markus Hochholdinger <Markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:14:21 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:24:44 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2006 13:56 schrieb Ralph Passgang:
[..]
> And I agree. pae is a crock, but the problem in my case is, that we have
> already some production system running on xen hosts in 32bit mode and it's
> not as easy to upgrade them to use 64bit (because of the downtime and so
> on). At the time the servers were bought I didn't knew that pci devices are
> taking 500MB to 1GB addresspace and I thought pae is just needed for
> systems with more then 4gb physical ram.
>
> Using a 64bit kernel but 32bit userspace is horrible too (at least in my
> opinion), because for example iptables won't run then (if I got that
> right). Mixing 64bit and 32bit userspace is possible, but I don't like that
> idea. Customers want a clean system and not a somehow working solution. But
> I guess in future we are forced to upgrade to 64bit anyway, because that is
> defintily the future.

thinking about this 32 vs 64 Bit thing. Shouldn't it possible to use 64 bit
kernel and 32 usersapce. The only thing (i hope) is userspace programs to
interact with the kernel (like iptables). These programs could be build and
statically linked on a 64 bit system.

What kernel things do we really need in domU?

In my case, mostly hosting internet services, i only need block device and
network device. So this solution should be save to me!?
OK, i never can make modules in domU, i had to build all into the 64 bit
kernel what i need. But this shouldn't matter for me, i think.

Or are there any other issues?

--
greetings

eMHa