Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] No VMX-guests on Intel Xeon/VT

Am Mittwoch, 1. Februar 2006 22:03 schrieb Daniel Stekloff:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 21:51 +0100, Thorolf Godawa wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > thanks a lot for your answer!
> >
> >  >Sorry if I missed part of this, have you seen:
> >  >http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VmxQuickstartGuide
> >
> > probably not, I've seen this side but didn't payed much attention to it!
> >
> > Maybe it's a stupid question, but do I have to build XEN if I want to
> > use it with VMX and VNC on the Intel Xeon/VT?
>
> I'm not sure I understand this question. If you're going to use VMX
> support in Xen, you need to build and use Xen.

I think Thorolf wanted to know if he needs to build xen3 on a host with a vt
processor or if he can use generic xen3 packages for his distribution or
maybe he wants to use the same build result for more then just one host
(maybe a xen host with vt & build host also without vt).

I am not 100% sure but I don't see no reason why a non-vt enabled system
shouldn't be able to compile xen3 with support for vt processors.

at build time the cpu vt extension is not used at all, so that should be no
problem.

But as already mentioned by Daniel, you need vncserver devel-libraries and
maybe (if you want to use this feature) sdl devel libraries.

> >  ># xm create -f /etc/xen/xmexample.vmx
> >
> > I think there is a small error in the documentation, I didn't found it
> > before:
> > ------
> > Simply follow the usual method of creating the guest, using the -f
> > parameter and providing the filename of your VMX configuration file:
> >
> > # xend start
> > # xm create /etc/xen/vmxguest.vmx
> > ------
> >
> > With the parameter '-f' nothing changes with the freedos-images, but the
> > warp-server-image seems to do s.th., at least I have CPU(sec) and some
> > times CPU(%) but I can't say if it's booting, trapping or even running.
> > I installed a PCnet-adapter with fixed ip, VNC-server, telnetd and ftpd
> > in the image, so if the OS starts it actually should be connectable!
> > And winxp also starts, at least it comes to the startmenu where it ask
> > what should be started (protected, normal, ...) and a
> > windows-trap-screen :-)
> >
> >  >Have you installed the libvncserver?
> >
> > No, it's even not in my rpm-list on the SuSE-medias, so I have to
> > compile and install it by my self?
>
> Yep.

I haven't used suse for years, but I would be very suprised if there would be
no libvncserver-devel packages for suse. maybe they just have another name.
maybe something like vncserver-devel, devel-vncserver, ... You should search
for all packages with "vnc" in their name and install everything that has to
do with vnc and development (header, libraries).

Xen3 will tell you at compile time if vnc support is enabled or if not
(because of missing libraries).

> >  >For sdl, have you installed the sdl-devel as well as the sdl package?
> >
> > No, it wasn't, I installed it but without any new results!
>
> Hmmm... I know that the sdl-devel package isn't listed on what needs to
> be installed, but the sdl option won't work without it.

check the compile output for something like this (not at the beginning, this
is shown in middle of the compile process, so logging your compile output
might help):

Install prefix    usr
BIOS directory    /usr/share/xen/qemu
binary directory  /usr/bin
Manual directory  /usr/share/man
Source path       /tmp/buildd/xen-3.0.1/tools/ioemu
C compiler        gcc
make              make
host CPU          i386
host big endian   no
target list       target-i386-dm
gprof enabled     no
static build      no
VNC support       yes
SDL support       yes
SDL static link   no
mingw32 support   no
Adlib support     no
FMOD support      no
WARNING: cannot compile statically with SDL - qemu-fast won't have a graphical
output

(I admit, I should take a closer look at the warning that I see in my compile
log, shouldn't I? *g*)

--Ralph