Re: [Xen-users] Xen + Coda?

Hello Niraj,

On 30 Jan 2006, at 17:22, Niraj Tolia wrote:
I have used the Coda client with Xen without any problems. I don't believe the server requires any kernel support and it should Just Work under Xen. Now, I don't use Debian but should you not be doing an apt-get install coda-server?

Thanks for the reply. You're quite right, I did need to do that. I've now got a bit further but still have problems.

In Dom0, I did this to install the server:

Add deb http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/debian stable/ to /etc/apt/ sources.list
        apt-get update
        apt-get install coda-update
        apt-get install coda-server
        useradd coda
        passwd coda (set to dev root password)
        mkdir /opt/coda
        run vice-setup:
                yes to create server.conf
                /vice for root
                yes, the SCM machine
                PASSWORD-GOES-HERE for all auth tokens
                server id 1
                enter coda's uid and coda
                yes to set up rvm
                log file: /var/log/codalog, 20M
                data file: /opt/coda/datafile, 22M
                yes, proceed and wipe old data
                accept /vicepa
                yes to setup vicetab
                256K files
                yes, try to get started

In Dom0, I did this to install the client:

        apt-get install coda-client
                Default realm for auth: 127.0.0.1
                Caching: 10000
clog coda, password "changeme" (falls over, "An address in realm '127.0.0.1' resolved to unusable address '127.0.0.1', ignoring it. Unable to resolve addresses for Coda auth2 servers in realm '127.0.0.1'") clog guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, password guest (works fine with read/write access and local caching)

My current status in Dom0 is that I appear to be able to start the server, but can't connect to it from the local machine, while I can connect to a remote server and use it Ok.

I then did this to install the client in DomU:

Add deb http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/debian stable/ to /etc/apt/ sources.list
        apt-get update
        apt-get install coda-client
                Default realm for authentication: 192.168.1.5
                Cache size: 20000
clog coda, password "changeme" (falls over, possibly due to kernel modules not being loaded?) clog guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, password guest (falls over, "Local login only, could not contact venus")

Attempting to (re)start the client in DomU does this:

        domU:~# /etc/init.d/coda-client restart
        No /usr/sbin/venus found running; none killed.
        umount: /coda: not mounted
        Starting /usr/sbin/venus...

        Date: Tue 01/31/2006

        12:05:51 Coda Venus, version 6.0.14
12:05:51 Probably another Venus is running! open failed for /dev/ cfs0,/dev/coda/0, exiting

I suspect that my DomU kernel is missing the Coda modules.

My config file for DomU looks like:

        kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12.6-xenU"
        memory = 96
        name = "vm01"
        dhcp = "dhcp"
disk = [ 'file:/opt/xen/domains/vm01/diskimage,sda1,w','file:/opt/ xen/domains/vm01/swapimage,sda2,w' ]
        root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

Cheers,

Mark.