Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI

To: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:06:52 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:16:26 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:48:54PM -0500, Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Saturday 28 January 2006 11:24 am, Markus Hochholdinger wrote:
> > has anyone experience with the use of iscsi (as iscsi initiator) in Xen
> > (which Xen version?). Does it work in dom0 and domU?
>
> i haven't tried it, but i guess performance wouldn't be as good.  iSCSI is a
> complex protocol, and t needs a lot of help from the NIC to be competitive
> with other forms of SAN.  that's why you see iSCSI cards from Adaptec and
> Intel.  those cards look like regular SCSI hardware (i think the Adaptec
> cards might even use the same driver for SCSI and iSCSI)
>
> under Xen, it's somewhat more complex to get TCP offloading, and i don't
> think
> you could use iSCSI cards from domU.  the CPU utilization would be way
> higher.
>
> what i plan to do (once i get a few test boxes) is to use coraid's AoE
> protocol (the driver is in the main Linux tree).  it's designed to be
> software driven, without any special card; and it's CPU utilization seems to
> be around ATA levels.
>
> with any kind of SAN, i think the best strategy would be to use CLVM in dom0
> and export the logical volumes to the domUs; this way you only have to setup
> the SAN drivers in dom0, the domUs would treat those as local disks.

Hi!

So you have used SAN+CLVM with Xen ?

Is CLVM considered stable? Have you had problems with it?

And also it would be nice to know what version of the distribution, kernel,
clvm and xen you have been using..

I'm going to try CLVM in couple of weeks, and it would be nice to know other
people's thoughts about it.

Thanks!

-- Pasi