Re: [Xen-users] setting up private networking between dom0 and domU?

Hello,

I am also very interested in running Windows in XEN environment under
VT or Pacifica, so I hope you let me ask several questions...

> > To what avail?
> > Being able to install unmodified non-graphical (server)systems is a fine
> > thing; graphical systems like W2K3/XP is another talk.
> > No Xen-aware video drivers are available. In a couple of threads, I've
> > argued that Nvidia is interested in developing such a driver, but won't
> > do it until deemed nessesary. It will only happen with applied pressure.
What is known about Nvidia plans - do they plan to develop a dom0-only,
or maybe even a domU drivers as well? Do I understand properly that
with proper domU-drivers it will be possible... maybe even run
OpenGL/DirectX software under guest Windows? As far as I understand, ATI
drivers were made compatible with dom0, but no domU yet - so is Nvidia
behind ATI in this area yet?

> There are three aspects here:
Windows emulation question is pretty interesting... The question about
video cards has been discussed - but what about other drivers and
hardware?
Is sound card virtualization now working in any form (at least in
"3"-mode, by emulation)? With pretty good state of opensource sound
support in Linux, it should be possible to allow soundcards using in
domU - but how is it now, and what are the nearest plans in this area?
And, probably, the most important: how hard drive is emulated for
guest Windows? Should it use a dedicated drive, a dedicated partition,
or maybe it requires an "image" file (visible to domU-Windows as hard
drive, but stored as a file on a real FS for dom-Linux)? Or maybe even
file-level access is virtualized, so that we can be able to have paths
like /var/Windows/Program Files/ on our Reisers and Exts and to
distribute Windows files over LVM?

And also: currently mostly Intel VT is being discussed, as the only
available on the market now. But will advanced AMD Pacifica's features
help with anything of above (video/audio/hard disk), or they will give
only performance benefits?

--
With best regards,