[Xen-users] How do unmodified guests work with Xen?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] How do unmodified guests work with Xen?
From: Stephan Austermühle <au@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:56:32 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:04:36 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

Although I'm tracking Xen (thanks to the Xen team -- they've done a great
job!) and virtualization for a while I still couldn't figure out how
unmodified guests work with Xen 3.0. Let's assume I'd like to install
Windows 2003 on Xen and have a system that has the VT/Pacifica feature.
Since the guest doesn't have access to the hardware it will need either
(Xen) drivers that know how to perform I/O (e.g., disk, networking) or Xen
needs to emulate hardware. Another problem I see is that Windows wants to
have a graphics card with at least VGA capabilities for installation. At
the moment I cannot see any other way than hardware emulation. Maybe
someone can tell how Xen works with unmodified guests in detail.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Stephan