Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0.0 on CentaurHauls VIA Samuel 2

To: tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0.0 on CentaurHauls VIA Samuel 2
From: Chris Brookes <cbrookes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:53:10 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:01:00 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16/01/06, Bob Tanner <tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2004-03/msg00119.html
>
> But the box below
>
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 7
> model name      : VIA Samuel 2
> stepping        : 3
> cpu MHz         : 735.181
> cache size      : 64 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
> bogomips        : 1454.08
>
> Fails to boot with the exact same symptoms.

There's several threads about this, one with my name it somewhere. The
key point to note in the thread you quote is "Nehemiah". Xen only
boots on EPIA hardware with the VIA Nehemiah based CPU core in it. The
problem with non Nehemiah based CPUs as I recall, comes down to a few
things, one of which is the lack of CMOV instruction support and the
other being something to do with 4K page sizes. I gave up and bought a
CL10000 board, partly because of the dual onboard nics, but mostly
because I had neither the time, motivation or appropriate skills to
make the fix myself...

I suppose if someone actually went as far as to open a bug report this
issue might recieve some attention from the development team...

Regards

Chris